Spam Musubi


Be delighted people! I would like to share a recipe here today. This is especially dedicated to my cousins (and of course my sister, but she doesn't count as she can contact me ANYTIME to get ANY recipe) and friends out there who just started studying overseas and has not learned to cook. Trust me, you will learn how to cook once you decided to change your life and STOP THE JUNK FOOD and reverse the freshman pounds!

This is a very simple recipe that is great as a snack, or as the carb portion of your meal. I used to make lots of these and keep them in the fridge so that I can have two portions as a meal as one of my many diet attempts (which kinda work by the way).
I believe that spam musubi is a very popular snack in Hawaii, a version of the Japanese onigiri. I started making these during my bento making craze and the spam musubi looks absolutely cute as the carbohydrate portion of my meal.

Feast your eyes on some of the pictures of my old bento:

Overflown bento




















SMILEY bento
















So anyways, here's the recipe for spam musubi:

3 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce (I recommend Japanese soy sauce)
6 tbsp sugar
1 can spam (slice to 10 cross wise)
2 cups Japanese rice, cook normally
Nori, cut into 5 cm strips

mix oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl. Soak the sliced spam into your homemade teriyaki sauce for 5 minutes. Heat some oil in non-stick pan. Pan fry the spam slices until slightly crispy on the edges (completely pat dry the spam from the sauce with kitchen paper towel). Form rice with your hands into a rectangle, about the same surface area as the spam slices and about 3.5 cm thick. Lay the spam on top and wrap with cut nori (secure the nori with some water)

Tips:

  • wrap individual cooled musubi in clingwrap and microwave 10-15 s before eating
But our family always devour all 10 within an hour.
  • You can also use store bought teriyaki sauce to soak the spam slices.
  • There will be teriyaki sauce leftover, dump some chicken pieces into it and stir fry with some sliced onions! Always a favorite.
ENJOY!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

1 comments:

wahono said...

Hmmmm... I want these bento boxes!!

Post a Comment